Friday, January 2, 2009

Fight-less Bird, American Mouth, by Iron & Wine 놀라운 성취! ¡Está Maravilloso!

I was a quick wet boy
Diving too deep for coins
All of your street light eyes
Wide on my plastic toys
And when the cops closed the fair I cut
my long baby hair
Stole me a dog-eared map
And called for you everywhere

Have I found you?
Flightless bird, jealous, weeping
Or lost you?
American mouth
Big pill looming

Now I’m a fat house cat
Nursing my sore blunt tongue
Watching the warm poison rats
Curl through the wide fence cracks
Pissing on magazine photos
Those fishing lures thrown in the cold and clean
Blood of Christ mountain stream

Have I found you?
Flightless bird, grounded bleeding
Or lost you?
American mouth
Big pill, stuck going down

I first heard this song through the film – Twilight and the beat was seemingly a perfect match for the ending scene. I liked it very much, thereby trying to seek for it. Repeatedly, I listened to it and tried to understand the meaning of the song in the meantime to further examine whether this song really suited the romantic coda of the film.

Perhaps, I was not a native English speaker, I heard that the band was mumbling words or terms like ‘quick wet boy’, ‘fat house cat’ but couldn’t really make a correlation between this song and the scene. To me, the song seemed to have no connection with the scene and the lyrics obviously did not make any sense the first time I read.

I was not sure about whether there were any websites for interpreting or translating the lyrics of a song into a simple and comprehensible version, so I went on to seek my fortune.
My search results truly astounded me as I saw many film-lovers were trying to know about the meaning of the songs as well and the evidence was given by considerable number of posts, all were in connection with their hunger or thirst for the song’s meaning.

I scrolled down the page to read the remaining posts. In my mind, there could be somebody had already known the meaning and had been keen to share with us.
Among the posts, I saw some sort of posts like this:

I hate how people always connect this song to the movie twilight, when they
should be connecting twilight to the song. The movie doesn’t make the song
better, but the other way around. I have never seen the movie and haven’t read
any of the books; this song is amazing on its own. When I first saw the trailer
for twilight i was like "oh c’mon another vampire movie, I just know its gonna
bomb at the box office," the only reason it did good was because of the
teenagers who were fans of the books. The plot doesn’t really appeal to me so
I’m not interested in watching the movie or reading any of the books. This song
and band is amazing and I will continue to listen to them. - Anonymous

I had some kind of agreement with the statement this ‘anonym’ had made on 23rd of December; particularly, we shouldn’t relate the song really to the film actually. Thee song is really amazing of its own. Its ‘misty’ meaning really made the song a worthier one of listening.
Trust me, take what you feel when listening to the song and put it into the lyrics, you would smile and it makes you have a nice feeling.

From answer.yahoo.com,

As people would always say about the time when one is still a child: a child is
everything that is new and great. Changes will happen when his or her life and
reality have found him or her.
A boy who had been enjoying life once he was
small had found out that things happened like betrayal, anger and jealousy when
getting elder and elder. All these have made him contemplate finding the former
happiness again like what he had when he was little.

A marvelous song, isn’t it? = ^..^ =

2 comments:

virtual lady said...

and u had just coloured the lyrics..yday u havent painted it yet=D

virtual lady said...

haha,now i agree with you =)
it is nice.